Exclusive interviews: Duncan Jones (Director of Moon) - Andrew Barker (Director of Straw Man) - Tony Grisoni (Screen Writer of Red Riding Trilogy, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) - Michael Marshall Smith (author of Spares, Only Forward, The Straw Men etc) - Alejandro Adams (Director of Canary) - Ryan Denmark (Director of Romeo & Juliet vs The Living Dead) - Neal Asher (author of the Cormac series, The Skinner etc) - Marc Robert & Will Stotler (Able) - Kenny Carpenter (Director of Salvaging Outer Space)

Press Conference - Public Enemies - Johnny Depp, Michael Mann, Marion Cotillard

NEWS - REVIEWS - TRAILERS - POSTERS - INTERVIEWS - FORUM - CONTACT


FEATURED REVIEWS - Public Enemies - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Moon - The Hurt Locker

LFF is on Facebook - Twitter - Friend Feed

Tuesday 23 September 2008

Kevin Smith talks Red State

Kevin Smith appeared on the Cinemablend podcast and listed off some of the reasons that studios might be afraid to greenlight his next film, Red State:

1. The Movie is ““decidedly non-commercial, it’s really fuckin bleak and dark, so bleak that it makes The Dark Knight look like Strawberry Shortcake.”

2. “There’s no character to root for.” … “It’s a series of insane, bad choices based on moral or immoral quandaries.”

3. “Everybody dies.”

4. “I do expect it to be a real film festival type film that will travel awhile.” … ” The only way it ever does business theatrically is if there’s like some kind of water cooler chat about it based on the festival showings.”

5. “They’re just like ‘there’s no audience for this movie.’ Like, nobody wants to see a movie this dark.”

“Based on all that nobody wants to write a check for it and I kind of get it. I’m not sitting here going ‘What? Why wouldn’t you want to finance a loser?’,” Smith says, later adding. “I’ve done comedy after comedy after comedy, and to do a movie that’s kind of 180 degrees away from that is, a test of sorts, where I get to see if I’m truly a filmmaker or just a dick and fart joke guy. No matter how it works out, I think I’d be content. Like, if it does work I’d be like ‘wow I know it! I am a filmmaker as well.’ If it doesn’t I’d just be like ‘alright I’m back to the dick and fart joke salt mine.”
Red State is a bit of a departure for Kevin Smith as it is described as "A horror film in which a group of misfits encounter fundamentalism gone to the extreme in Middle America." Sounds interesting. I just hope he manages to move the camera a bit! It's due out in 2010.
What do you think of this? Looking forward to it?

0 comments: