Exclusive interviews: Duncan Jones (Director of Moon) - Andrew Barker (Director of Straw Man) - Tony Grisoni (Screen Writer of Red Riding Trilogy, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) - Michael Marshall Smith (author of Spares, Only Forward, The Straw Men etc) - Alejandro Adams (Director of Canary) - Ryan Denmark (Director of Romeo & Juliet vs The Living Dead) - Neal Asher (author of the Cormac series, The Skinner etc) - Marc Robert & Will Stotler (Able) - Kenny Carpenter (Director of Salvaging Outer Space)

Press Conference - Public Enemies - Johnny Depp, Michael Mann, Marion Cotillard

NEWS - REVIEWS - TRAILERS - POSTERS - INTERVIEWS - FORUM - CONTACT


FEATURED REVIEWS - Public Enemies - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Moon - The Hurt Locker

LFF is on Facebook - Twitter - Friend Feed

Sunday 17 May 2009

Lars von Trier's Antichrist may be the work of the Devil himself

I had been looking forward to seeing Lars von Trier's new film, Antichrist. The trailer, posters and photos looked pretty cool and they had an excellent style to them. Plus it was naked people being saucy in a spooky looking woods.

However, the film has been shown at Cannes and it may not be as good as we thought. Here is what Jeffrey Wells over at Hollywood Elsewhere had to say about it.
There's no way Antichrist isn't a major career embarassment for costars Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg, and a possible career stopper for Von Trier.

It's an out-and-out disaster -- one of the most absurdly on-the-nose, heavy-handed and unintentionally comedic calamities I've ever seen in my life. On top of which it's dedicated to the late Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky, whose rotted and decomposed body is now quite possibly clawing its way out of the grave to stalk the earth, find an axe and slay Von Trier in his bed.

Here's a portion of Von Trier's "director's confession" from the press book:

"Two years ago I suffered from depression. Everything, no matter what, seems unimportant, trivial. I couldn't work. Six months later, jsut as an exercise, I wrote a script. It was a kind of therapy, but also a search, a test to see if would ever make another film.

"The script was finished and filmed without much enthusiasm, made as it was using about half of my physical and intellectual capacity. Scenes were added for no reason. Images were composed free of logic or dramatic thinking. They often came from dreams I was having at the time, or dreams I'd had earlier in my life.

"In any case I offer no excuses for Antichrist. Other than my absolute belief in the film -- the most important film of my entire career!"

A man whom I've admired and respected for many years has lost his mind for the time being, or at last lost it while he was writing and shooting the film.
Have you seen it yet? Do you agree with Mr Wells?

Discuss in the forum

HOME

2 comments:

Stonecypher said...

I'd been looking forward to this too, but now I think I'm looking forward to it in a different way - to see if it really is as awful as everyone seems to be saying!

Pat said...

right when i saw the first clip/teaser of this i thought theres something weird about it. i watched most of triers other films and really enjoyed them. this however did seem off to me straight away. i dont want to be right, but after reading that...."review"..i sort of have the feeling i might be right afterall. phases of depression never really make for good script writing anyways, let me tell you. hope trier is gonna be ok.