Exclusive interviews: Duncan Jones (Director of Moon) - Andrew Barker (Director of Straw Man) - Tony Grisoni (Screen Writer of Red Riding Trilogy, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) - Michael Marshall Smith (author of Spares, Only Forward, The Straw Men etc) - Alejandro Adams (Director of Canary) - Ryan Denmark (Director of Romeo & Juliet vs The Living Dead) - Neal Asher (author of the Cormac series, The Skinner etc) - Marc Robert & Will Stotler (Able) - Kenny Carpenter (Director of Salvaging Outer Space)

Press Conference - Public Enemies - Johnny Depp, Michael Mann, Marion Cotillard

NEWS - REVIEWS - TRAILERS - POSTERS - INTERVIEWS - FORUM - CONTACT


FEATURED REVIEWS - Public Enemies - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Moon - The Hurt Locker

LFF is on Facebook - Twitter - Friend Feed

Monday 23 February 2009

Watchmen "Rorschach" - 45 minute fan film

Clive over on the always excellent Fan Cinema Today has pointed out a cool little Watchmen film made by the fans.

Now I know everyone is starting to get Watchmen overload and just want to see Zack Snyder's film, but films like this made by people like us needs to be shared.

As Clive says: With that in mind, you have to give Casey Ellis, a fan filmmaker at Indiana University, credit; with a budget of $1,000, he shot Watchmen: Rorschach, which tells the entire story in two hours less time than Snyder. That’s right: 43 minutes. I can’t claim that I sat through all of it—I couldn’t because Part One of the five part-flick is missing online. Apparently, it included a copyrighted song and YouTube pulled it

Clive also has an interview with the filmmaker Casey Ellis

What made you choose the “unfilmable” Watchmen?
This is my first and probably only fan film; it was just a big experiment. I made this fan film primarily because after I read the graphic novel, I couldn’t stop thinking about the questions it brought up in my mind. Would there be justification for killing so many people if you potentially saved the entirety of humanity?

Of course, Rorschach was my focal character, and I felt his uncompromising look on the dichotomy of good and evil was intriguing. I wanted to explore the world of these characters.

Another reason was that I also wanted to challenge myself as an amateur filmmaker. This was all an experiment. I went at this throwing a little over a grand of my own money into the project. This was a huge undertaking, considering the crew consisted of myself, and the actors, pretty much. When my Adrian wasn’t in a shot, it was time for him to hold a boom.
Make sure you check out the rest of the interview and also have a look at Clive's book, Homemade Hollywood: Fans Behind the Camera.

Now without further ado, here is the film (minus part 1!)




Let me know what you thought of that.

Discuss in the Forum

0 comments: