Exclusive interviews: Duncan Jones (Director of Moon) - Andrew Barker (Director of Straw Man) - Tony Grisoni (Screen Writer of Red Riding Trilogy, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) - Michael Marshall Smith (author of Spares, Only Forward, The Straw Men etc) - Alejandro Adams (Director of Canary) - Ryan Denmark (Director of Romeo & Juliet vs The Living Dead) - Neal Asher (author of the Cormac series, The Skinner etc) - Marc Robert & Will Stotler (Able) - Kenny Carpenter (Director of Salvaging Outer Space)

Press Conference - Public Enemies - Johnny Depp, Michael Mann, Marion Cotillard

NEWS - REVIEWS - TRAILERS - POSTERS - INTERVIEWS - FORUM - CONTACT


FEATURED REVIEWS - Public Enemies - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Moon - The Hurt Locker

LFF is on Facebook - Twitter - Friend Feed

Monday 6 October 2008

The Dude talks about Tron 2 or should that be Tr2n

Jeff Bridges chats to the Guardian about his latest movie, How to Lose Friends & Alienate People. Amongst all that are some words about The Big Lebowski, Crazy Heart and a little bit about the Tron sequel Tr2n. I really want one of the Widelux cameras that he uses to take photos behind the scenes on all his movies.

You visited the inaugural Lebowski Fest. What was it like seeing thousands of Dudes?

Ah, man, it was great. That was my Beatles moment. I got a little band together and played, unannounced. I came out and played to this sea of Dudes! It was awesome. I hope to return and do some tunes with John Goodman. We'd love to do that one day. Lebowski Fest - it's fantastic fun. There's one coming up but I can't go because I'm off to shoot a film. It has been going on a couple of years now all over the States two days of bowling, music, heavy partying, and all these people are dressed up. You see some of the most obscure references, and the movie plays on the walls all the time.

I heard that the girls in the The Big Lebowski dream sequence played a trick on you on set?

Oh yeah, that was kind of funny. It was when The Dude sort of flies through all these women's legs, smiling when he's looking up all their skirts. Well there I am, lying back on this skateboard, and when I go under the first girl, she's got all this pubic hair sticking out of her leotard. Then when I went under the next girl, she's got even more hair, the girls were getting bushier and bushier. Basically, all the girls had decided to play a joke to confuse The Dude!

Did you ever expect The Dude to be your most successful character?

I don't think of it that way. I was nominated for an Academy Award forplaying a president, which is about as un-Dude as you can get. Then Iron Man, too, was very un-Dude-like. I love to shake it up and keep my own persona slightly confusing. That way people will be able to slip me into the character at hand.

In your next film, Crazy Heart, you play a country singer. That's got to be exciting for a musician, right?

Oh yeah! We're shooting that with Maggie Gyllenhaal and Colin Farrell, while T-Bone Burnett - my great friend, we go back to Heaven's Gate - is doing the music. I mean, getting to play a country singer and work with T-Bone, this was an easy one to say "yes" to. I get to play music too.

Iron Man turned out to be one of the biggest films of the year. Why do your first big blockbuster now?

The big draw for me with Iron Man was [director] Jon Favreau. I got thescript and wasn't sure I wanted to do it, but when I heard that Jon wasinvolved… I was a big fan of his from the moment I saw him in Swingers,and I'd been following his career. I found it intriguing to have him directing a big comic book movie. When he told me he had Robert Downey Jr, I thought that'd be wonderful. Jon had a very hard time convincing the powers that be that Robert was the right man, but he was such a wonderful off beat choice.

You've been busy this year, but over the last couple of years you've made fewer movies. Why?

I spend a lot of time trying to resist doing anything, really! Honestly, there are a lot of things I love to do other than making movies, and I know that once I commit to a film it's going to prevent me from doing any of these other things. So I do try and not commit; I try hard not to engage. But sometimes there's an element in it which I just can't resist. It changes with each movie. You can just get a feeling, and you don't know what that is until you do the movie.

Is that why you signed up for the new Tron movie?

Yeah, that's another unique, wild experience that was too good to turn down. Engaging in that world again feels just like it did all that time ago. Basically, I'm still a child, I love being childlike, and here was another chance to play with these crazy toys. And the cutting-edge technology makes it exciting. Doing the teaser trailer for Comic-Con, I had my first experience of motion capture. And that's turning the industry on its head. It's amazing being part of that.

There's such a retro love for Tron. How do you bring it up to date?

Well, when we made Tron there was no internet, no cellphones. But now we have motion capture, so I think we'll get a far more successful version of the story, which is someone literally getting sucked into a video game. When we did King Kong in the 70s, one minute you'd have a shot of Rick Baker in this big suit and then you'd cut to this 80ft stiff model, and they looked nothing alike. Compare to that Peter Jackson's King Kong the technology is there and they did a wonderful job. I thought they created a beautiful Kong. So I hope that'll be the same for Tron.

HOME / FORUM.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff is so cool. Love the photos he took.